What's Going On?
By Ubunifu Mwandishi
We have the first 7 days of 2020 under our belt. So, what’s happened this past week? What will happen in the near future? Find out below, and for more information check our Facebook page and/or website!
• An arrest has been made in the case of slain Minneapolis realtor, Monique Baugh. Monique was a 28-year-old mother of two young children. The realtor left her children and boyfriend at home to show a house on December 31st. As it turns out, her boyfriend is a drug dealer and her murderer, 41-year-old Cedric Lamont Berry, was a rival drug dealer. Cedric set the house showing up, had one of his loyal customers rent a U-Haul in which Cedric kidnapped Monique and stole her keys which he used to enter her home to shoot her boyfriend. Once he shot Monique’s boyfriend, he killed her in an alley.
For More: people.com
• In a case of life imitating art, actress Lori Loughlin has hired an expert to train her in prison lingo as she’s facing up to a 45-year sentence for her role in the Varsity Blues College Admissions Scandal. If this reminds you of anything, you may have seen the 2015 film Get Hard starring Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart. Kevin Hart’s character, Darnell, is responsible for getting Will Ferrell’s character, James who is a hedge-fund manager convicted of fraud, prepared to survive his sentence.
For More: people.com
• Ola M. Lewis, a Brunswick County Superior Court Judge, died Sunday, December 29th at the age of 54. Lewis, who was North Carolina’s longest-serving female judge, died after a battle with liver cancer.
For More: Star News Online
• Prayers for 72-year-old Evernell Pittman of Kinston, North Carolina who was hit in the head several times with a metal bat in an attempted car robbery in the parking lot of a restaurant. The no-good thief is still at-large.
For More: west.com
• Two Flowood, Mississippi men, who had obviously never played the lottery before, have been arrested for attempting to cash a doctored $100,000 scratch-off. Never mind the serial number or barcode on the scratch-off that indicate a winner, Odis Latham and Russell Sparks GLUED the winning numbers onto the scratch-off! The men are being held without bond and have been charged with Conspiracy to Commit and Uttering Counterfeit Instrument over $1,000.
For More: boston.com
• As if fools didn’t do enough shooting in 2019, A 61-year-old woman, Philippa Ashford, of Harris County, Texas, was killed by stray bullets. Ashford was outside enjoying fireworks with her family. At the same time, an irresponsible gun owner who apparently has never heard of gravity or the adage “what goes up must come down,” was recklessly shooting into the sky in celebration of the New Year.
For More: texasmonthly.com
• On a lighter note, or not, if you plan to eat as much as I do, Charlotte’s Restaurant Week is January 17th -26th.
For More: Charlotte Restaurant Week
• Super Bowl LIV is on Sunday, February 2nd and Tom Brady and The Great Deflaters, I mean, New England Patriots will not be there!!!
May our next 7 days be better than our last 7 days!